Mediterranean Diet: 8 Reasons Why You’ll Love It
Mediterranean diet focuses on the heart’s health. It originated from the traditional diet of the Italians and Greeks during 1960.
What is Mediterranean diet?
This diet plan was based on scientists’ observations that people living around the Mediterranean Sea are much healthier. Though there is no single Mediterranean menu, a meal plan pattern is established.
Generally, Mediterranean diet food list would include almost all types of food. The difference is the how much of each group you should eat. You can eat as much fruits, nuts, vegetables, whole grains, fish, herbs, seafood, extra virgin olive and spices as you want. However, you should slow down on eggs, poultry products, dairy products and yogurt. You should rarely eat red meat. Lastly, beverages with sweeteners, canned goods, processed products, refined oil, and grains are not allowed in this diet plan.
Mediterranean Diet Basic Guides
- Maintain 5 portions of different kinds of vegetables and fruits each day
- Drink at least six glasses of water every day
- Reduce high fat, sugar, salt food consumption
- Eat more whole grains for fiber
- Instead of processed spreads, create your own using unsaturated oil and seeds
8 Things You Would Love About Mediterranean Diet
1. You don’t need to document and compute for calories. This concept is the same with Atkins diet but with Mediterranean, you are allowed to swap instead of counting. Choose oil than butter or fruit than a candy bar.
2. Say goodbye to the frozen foods isle and say hello to fresh goods. Processed products are a big no-no for Mediterranean diet. So go straight to the fruits, vegetables, and live fish section on your next grocery trip. Fresh foods have higher retained vitamins and minerals and have lower sodium.
3. Buns are not banned. Yes you heard it right; you are allowed to eat bread as long as they are made out of whole grains. They have fewer calories but are rich in minerals. Pair it with protein rich spread made out of sesame seeds.
4. You would not have to give up fats, the good fats. We are talking about unsaturated fats from olive oil and nuts. They can lower your cholesterol and also fight cancer.
5. You can spice up your life.
Another great thing about Mediterranean diet is its wide collection of herbs and spices you can add to your recipes. Choose among cilantro, coriander, garlic, pepper, rosemary, bay leaves and cinnamon. They are not just delicious, they smell nice.
6. You can drink wine, cheers! A glass of wine is a common sight in Mediterranean dinner tables. red wine is good for the heart.
7. You will not experience starvation. Unlike crash diet or low calorie diet, you don’t need to be hungry because the foods in Mediterranean diet are complex sugar and lean proteins, you will feel full easily. You also have a healthier choice of snacks if ever your cravings spike.
8. Your brain would be happy. Since it is mostly composed of antioxidant-rich foods like nuts, your brain will be boosted. As an effect, you can process things faster and your memory would be sharper.